Sunday, August 07, 2011

Birthdays, organising and me-time

Thanks for all the birthday wishes!

I had a lovely day - I said to Julia (yes, you're one of the 5 bloggers!) that it's certainly been my best birthday since the twins have been born. Just being honest.

The one after they were born was honestly one of the worst - D and I were fighting so much because we were both sleep deprived, I had one of the 3 - 4 crying sessions in those first few months on my birthday and it was just super-terrible.

I think the key to this year's success was that I kept my expectations really low :) and I didn't feel guilty about not answering the phone.

And, of course, the kids are just super cute so I kept staring at them in wonder, amazed that they are mine. They are real little people and I wish I could bottle up their energy and cuteness and remember every little thing.

*sigh*

****************************************

I was reorganising some stuff on my desk and in looking through some folders, I found recipe lists mixed in with my business stuff.

Which of course made me grab everything and start sorting.

I have been feeling like I need to clear out a lot of stuff - old papers, things I now see I have no intention of doing...., etc.

My self-imposed rule is if I have a piece of paper by the next "sort" (which happens about 2 - 3 times a year - Jan, around April/ May and then usually September-ish) and I haven't made any progress or had any excitement, then out it goes.

No matter how good the idea.

My desk currently has three piles - business, household and personal.

And because of the interest in yesterday's virtual craft night, I have a new Bible cover (it was the nearest convenient, suitably sized thing) stuffed full of some of my "crafting" ideas.

Yes, I've made a list as I dumped things in so that I know what's in there.

My preferred way of keeping my paper organised is

1) as little as possible
2) as simple as possible
3) regular tweaking

I'm going to use a flipfile (clear plastic sleeves bound together in a folder) for each of those three piles and make the papers fit.

How do you organise all the different categories of paper in your life?


On Tuesday we celebrate Women's Day in South Africa. Of course this means a public holiday.

I love Women's Day and I look for excuses to celebrate the whole month :)

Another of my self-imposed rules is to always take a day off next to a Tues or Thurs public holiday so I'm off work tomorrow.

I briefly entertained noble ideas of going to the gym but quickly changed my mind.

My work gave each woman not one but TWO movie tickets for Women's Day. I could NOT believe how ungrateful some people were.... "I don't go to the movies, moan moan moan......... GRRRR. Quite honestly, I don't care if you don't go. Be grateful anyway.

So I'll be going to a movie, have to run one or two quick errands (posting baby gifts and some clothes to my sister), will hopefully get my hair done and I want to spend about 3 hours on the photos.

What are you looking forward to this week?

P.S. Even if you're not in South Africa, think of something fun you can do on Tuesday for Women's Day :)

5 comments:

  1. SO GLAD you enjoyed your birthday!!!

    And I'll work on something "womanly" [whatever the heck that means!] to celebrate on Tuesday. It will likely involve food with the girls...and that sounds like a great celebration to me! ;)

    That's really cool that your office gave movie tickets. And I'm glad you'll be putting yours to good use...enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! Sorry I missed you yesterday...I try to avoid the internet on weekends. : ) Glad you had a good day.

    Women's Day sounds like an awesome holiday! I think I will start a trend and celebrate too. : )

    Love the movie tickets...I think it's a great gift idea. J and I went this afternoon and it was great to escape into the dark, cool theater for a couple of hours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe people are so ungrateful, sheesh!

    I was really looking forward to today - I organised myself a little long weekend. ;-) So far so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no piles! I file away immediately. Have to admit i'm quite good like that coz piles drive me CRAZY!

    Two movies tickets - how divine. What are you going to see? I'm quite keen to see Larry Crowne and there is another too but it slips my mind right now.

    Enjoy the long weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I mostly flip file stuff. If my file gets too full then I box and seal and label box and move out of sight. My problem is that I don't regularly keep up with the system and then I end up with the mess that I currently have. I have files for household, personal, kids etc.
    So awesome that your employer gave you movie tickets!
    I am doing a run in the morning, afterwards we are going for breakfast and weather permitting we'll take the kids to the beach for some outside play. I want to be home before lunch so I can make lunch/dinner (a big pot of something - I think I'll make it now actually) and then after a good arnica bath I want to spend the rest of the day resting. Hope you have a good womens day.x

    ps...can I just say how VERY jealous I am that you are having a brazilian blow? I am saving for mine at the moment and it's taking a while...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails