Saturday, August 27, 2011

Six on Saturday & 7 easy steps to make a mini scrapbook


1. Thank you so much for all the fabulous and challenging comments on the Nanny V post. D and I spoke a bit about it - not enough - so I haven't resolved it yet. BUT I chatted to her a bit today and lots of things were uncovered (not bad things). I don't mean to be secretive - it really is another post all on its own.

2. Kendra is going through a phase where she WAILS (emotional blackmail?) every time I say no to her. She had this going on a few months ago and thankfully snapped out of it but it's back. I want to flip my lid when it happens. It's literally, "no, Kendra, it's time to eat now" WAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Thank goodness she' s cute but suggestions?


3. Tell me if this is weird but I'm a little bit (okay, a lot) in love with Connor's baby arms. It was a gorgeous, hot day today (the forecast said 26 but I'm convinced it was warmer; or it might be because I'm so starved of heat) and the kids were in short sleeves. And... I want to bite those gorgeous baby forearms.



4. Today we went to a lovely birthday party (my friend's twin girls). They had a horse there and despite much prepping by me, Kendra was Not Interested. At all. Connor couldn't wait to "ride horsey" and was in heaven for about 10 seconds before he said, "get off, Mummy" and that was that. One of the birthday twins, H, was so cute. The horse snorted on her hand and she went, "naughty horsey". I love it!

As you know, I love the people-watching - every parent is so different. Things that I can't relax about don't phase others and I suppose my constant "no sweets before you eat properly" amuse other parents. Love seeing all the differences though. Sharon and gorgeous Ava were there too.

They had a photographer there and I hope and pray she got one or two good ones of our kids.

5. I got TWO birthday presents on Friday (3 weeks later - I love it :)). One of them is the most beautiful gift ever. We all oohed and aahed at my desk and the others proclaimed it to be "so you". I agree. Thank you again, Julia, you made my day.





6. Now onto Thursday's crafting night.

Oh boy, did I ever underestimate how long it would take me to get going. One thing I did right was to focus on the main thing I wanted to get accomplished, my year in review book. My friend, R, the mother of the birthday twins, bought me a brag book and it has exactly 24 pages.

My intention is to have one picture summarising the month, or the feeling of the month, and then on the other side, a list of my monthly highlights. 12 months X 2 pages = perfect to use up the book.

I'm still not done with it!

I went through each of my monthly folders to see what I'd been taking pictures of and that mostly did it for me BUT I also need to go through my blog (this one) to see what else was going on - as you know, every significant thing can't always be photographed, like feelings breakthroughs.

Onward and upward.

Also, scrapbookers, do you just have all the pics on hand you want to scrap? Or do you plan everything, get photos printed, and then throw it all together.

I ask because I'm hugely impatient. Even now, I've selected pics Jan - Jul and am itching to just go get them printed even though I promised myself I would only print when I have 100 (it then costs R1,95 per print as opposed to R2,95 per print if less than 100)


6. I opened my big mouth on Thursday and promised to make a little something for our PA's granddaughter because she said she (granddaughter) would LOVE to do crafting with me (LOL - me!).

So even though it was late (in the evening - Simon and Garfunkel :)) on Thursday when I finally finished working on my year in review book, I quickly whipped up this little scrapbook for an 8-year-old girl.



7 easy steps to make a mini scrapbook
  1. Take 5 sheets of 12 X 12 paper and cut into 4 pieces so you have 20 small sheets.
  2. Cut out some cardboard for the front and back covers.
  3. Arrange the paper 1,2,3,4,5 between the covers.
  4. Use two binder rings (of course!)
  5. Attach a tag (I have a tag punch - I think this is my favourite together with the 2-inch circle punch) in a co-ordinating colour.
  6. Make the binder rings pretty with co-ordinating ribbon.
  7. Add some washi tape (anyone have any EASY tutorials (no curved surfaces as I'm challenged...) for washi tape?).
That's it!

I was very happy with it especially in the light of day but what do you think?

I'm linking this up to Lolly Jane - you've got to love a set of crafting twin girls who live next to each other :)



Also, my linky is still open - if you made something this last week, link up!

Over to you - share something with me that's going on in your life

PS I don't think K likes Simon and Garfunkel. I just pulled up the YouTube video of Late in the evening and I heard her tossing and turning :) So young and yet so fussy! What's your favourite Simon and Garfunkel song (Ginger - do you like them?)? Mine is Sounds of Silence.

14 comments:

  1. Those are precious pictures, Marcia! But as to that wailing...I say, "Never let 'em see you sweat." Unless someone has a "reason" to cry at our house...and it's usually obvious when they're just fussing...it gets ignored. It secretly drives me BATTY, but I don't want to let the girls know that! :)

    Love, love, love the scrapbook! And I'll bet that 8-year old is going to love it at least 8 times over! So sweet of you...and so very cute. :)

    And I love Sounds of Silence!

    I'm ex-haus-ted...but I'm meeting up with a couple of friends tonight for a late round of sushi. I'm sure I'll get my second wind when I get some edamame! :)

    Enjoy your Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate picking favorites but I could really go for The Boxer right now. I do love Simon and Garfunkel, much to DH's chagrin.

    Those scrapbooks are darling. I missed the link up thanks to my ditch digging efforts...

    As for the crying, I totally disregard it. I refuse to give them attention for undesired behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  3. re the photographs - as I do more scrap-pages (single) than 'brag books' i generally print my pics at home. Yes I know it works out more expensive, but I have so often found that if i print up a lot of pics, then i don't use then because they don't go with the paper, are the worng size whatever. I am a simple scrapper and rarely use more than 2 photos on a page.

    Here is a link to some of my scrapping so you can see what i'm talking about:

    http://shaynes-timeout.blogspot.com/2011/04/today_18.html

    And i too, have no time for wailing/or whining. i walk away (and block my ears).

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joel also does that wailing thing. He is wailing at the moment because we are not taking him to Teacher IsaWell. He is walking around with his bag and is even handing me my shoes so we can leave NOW! I told him that Teacher Isabel is with her Mommy but he is not sold. The wailing is annoying and cute at the same time. I usually ignore it. LOL..baby arms are very cute.
    Am so, so happy that you liked your gift and that I made your day. Love it. I just laughed while I was reading your mail on Friday and I even put an update on FB! Will blog my necklace later and link up. Your book is really, really pretty. That year in review book is such an awesome idea. Love it. Am considering buying a laminating machine. Have seen loads of stuff that I want to do that will require laminating and I'm thinking I will probably label every single item in the house once I have it! My fave S&G songs are Mrs Robinson and Bridge over troubled waters.

    ps...I usually feed my boys before we go to a party. I know that they are so going to want to eat sweets and nothing else when we get to a party. Helps a bit for my sanity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marcia!

    Those two kiddies of yours are dolls... :)

    I LOVE your idea about the scrapbook (one pic to sum up a month with details to explain...A-W-E-S-O-M-E!)

    I print my pics as I need them but they only cost 29 cents no matter how many...sounds like it's totally worth waiting for you to get the savings though.

    Happy SUnday!

    P.S. Cecilia is my favorite by Simon and Garfunkel, followed by Bridge Over Troubled Waters and then Mrs. Robinson...I LOVE S&G! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the pics Marcia!

    And I did spy the Macaroon stationery....so jealous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dealing with lawyer nightmares. Not sure which one is worse, I'm in way over my head.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just came back to look at the comments, as I don't know what washi tape is...perhaps a South African phenomenon? ;)

    And on a completely unrelated note, I bought a laminated map last week - one side is the US, the other is a world map. The girls can name several states, and point to several more. On the world side, they can identify the US, Yugoslavis (where Daddy was born), Australia (where the kangaroos live), and South Africa (where our friends live). :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's perfectly ok to dress the kids in summer clothes, as the days are so warm. I also dressed my kids that way.
    Now going on in my life? Is getting running events I can run on Saturdays. I enjoyed the Spar Womens Race so much on Saturday, that I want more of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mandy, no, washi tape is a Japanese thing actually.

    Here is my favourite etsy shop that sells it 

    http://www.etsy.com/shop/kawaiigoodies

    and here is a Japanese shop I’ve also bought from

    http://www.etsy.com/shop/washimatta

    ReplyDelete
  11. What about giving her two choices, choices you can live with, in stead of just saying no? Worked with the Princess and still does.

    Love the book!

    And BTW - love that Simon & Garfunkel song - my favorite one of theirs. (And 50 ways to leave your lover) Sort of jazzy ones.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now I had to go back and read the nanny post! I can't believe she could drop off her son at 6:30 and was having trouble getting there on time! I hope that was resolved.

    I'm with Mandy on the "never let 'em see you sweat" philosophy although I will readily admit that it is HARD to pull off at times. Mine have started bawling when I am just in the kitchen and only separated by a baby gate. It is stressful and it makes it hard to get things done.

    This spring I was so eager to dress the girls in short sleeves and shorts so that I could see their little cute fat rolls and sweet baby skin! I totally get the arm thing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ignore the wailing...calmly say, "I'm sorry you're upset, but we'll talk more when you calm down" and walk away. It's attention seeking (and completely annoying).

    I can't bring myself to scrapbook anymore...I'll have Shutter.fly make my photo books and get rid of all of those little tiny pieces of paper that comprise scrapbooking. Good for you though...give you all the credit in the world for having enough patience.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous7:14 pm

    I love washi tape too! I get mine here -**warning** it's addicting!

    http://www.cutetape.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails