Saturday, April 06, 2013

The end of one era and the beginning of another

It feels surreal to finally be starting a new job and not be defined by my previous role.

We worked out on Friday that I'm the longest-standing member of that team at 7.5 years. Previous best was 5 years - tied between an ex-colleague and previous wonderful boss. And then a current colleague will have been there 5 years in August.

I don't know if that says I'm loyal or in a comfort zone, probably both :)

Nevertheless, my boss came and told me they have something planned in the way of a farewell but we need a half day out of the office.


She said some really nice things to me (which I LOVE, being a words of affirmation girl) about how not only have I made a significant contribution to the team but I've also brought much in the way of ME (that's true - I do bring fun to my work environment because I think people are way too serious at work :)) and they didn't just want to do a farewell thing with snacks and drinks because they want to mark my end there in a special way. Very nice.

By the way, after writing that post on Thursday, I realised I hadn't prayed about this so I prayed and said to God, "I know You gave me this job and now I'm going to TRUST you to sort all this out and let me go in a good way" and so there it was.

After my handover meeting with her, we spoke a bit more about how excited I am and she said to go and BE my awesome self, to not hold back and to go do great things.

I told her then and now I'm telling you about how I've been thinking about what I want my time there to look like because really, a new job is a time to redefine oneself, right?

This is what I decided:

I will stay visible and not be tempted to hide away like I did sometimes in this job
I will keep acting in courage
I will step out and take risks
I will happily stand out and be my authentic and awesome self
and I will bring FUN to that team (they're a bit boring :) but really stand-up, solid people)

in short, all of this (Grit and Moxie print from Artsyville)
Pros of the new job
  • First project is in the Jhb CBD (yay, Louisa and I can have lunches)
  • Project-based - I will be working on projects with real deadlines and will be able to TIE up and finish off actual work all the time. This is super, SUPER exciting for a J like me! Currently I dibble and dabble in literally 100s of things, all at different stages. Fine for the Ps of which the team has had MANY over the years not many Js.
  • 100% in my skill set and one of my passions
  • More money (to be fair, I would have moved for exactly the same)

Cons of the new job
  • I will be away from my current gorgeous offices 4 out of 5 days a week at least for the next 4 months
  • I will have to stop training with the personal trainer as a result :(

Neutral - not sure how I'm going to feel about keeping time cards...

Is there anything in your life you need to redefine?
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

  1. Wishing you well in your new job! Go get 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you're going to knock their socks off. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are going to be AWESOME. This job is soooo you, it's actually unbelievable - it's like your name has always been written on it.
    I need to redefine various areas on my life. Will be blogging about it over the next few weeks. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lesley6:06 pm

    Love the captions you put with the pictures!
    You will be great in your new job! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blegh time cards are crap!!
    Hope you enjoy the new challenges :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck for your new job - I am sure you are going to be fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck ! I am sure you are going to knock their socks off! And I love that you will bring fun to it.

    And I love that I also have projects with visible ends and results.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAY for new jobs :)

    mmm not sure if I need to redefine anything? My role will soon be changing from fiance to wife but not sure I need to redefine that :))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with the new job! I'm sure you'll do wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so happy for you! I know it's going to be wonderful moving into a position that fits your style better. I'm proud of you for taking the plunge...and this post is so inspiring! You need to be sure and look back at it when you need a reminder. ; )

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails