Saturday, May 31, 2014

Yoghurt Oatmeal Muffins aka the yummiest muffins ever aside from those pumpkin ones!

 

So last week I mentioned those muffins we made.

They were, of course, a hit with all residents here and were demolished in about 2 days.

Because they are that good.

(I always say this but PLEASE let me know if you make any recipes I suggest. It thrills me to no end)

I originally got the recipe from this blog WAAAAAAYYYY back in the day (I've been blogging forever) but I see she's made her blog private.

This is why you should always PRINT your favourites and stick them in a flipfile, which is exactly what I do.

My printout is dated 28 May 2007!!!

Anyway, I'm going to tell you how I make them.


Ingredients
1 cup oats (any, I'm not fussy)
1 cup yoghurt (again, anything although the recipe says plain yoghurt, I like to jazz it up with a flavoured yoghurt. The flavour is very subtle = DELICIOUS! Last week I had strawberry so strawberry it was)
1 egg
1/2 cup oil (I always put slightly less oil in any recipe - like 50 ml - somehow it makes me feel more virtuous? and fill it with milk)
1/2 cup sugar (same here - I used 3/4 cup which is plenty of sugar)
1 1/4 cup self-raising flour (or plain flour plus 1 tsp baking powder)
Any extras you like is optional - 1 banana, chocolate chips, raisins (last week I threw in a large handful of raisins)



  • Preheat oven to 220 Celsius (mine is a VERY hot oven - like its owner, hahaha - so I turn it down to 180 once it reaches 220 for the actual baking)
  • Mix the oats and yoghurt and leave in the fridge for about 30 mins.
  • Stir in egg, oil, sugar and the flour last
  • Remember with muffins, no over-mixing, just enough to combine
  • I find that I need a little bit of milk at the end. Just a splash. You'll feel it when you can stir comfortably.



I use muffin liners and I spray "Spray and Cook"/ "Cook and Bake" (whichever is cheapest when I need to buy a can) (Pam for the US girls) into each cup.

They make 12 large muffins. I usually make 6 large and 12 mini ones because the kids like the novelty of the small ones... and they're MUCH cuter!

The recipe says it takes 20 minutes. I say stay in the kitchen and check from 12 minutes onwards if you have a hot oven like mine, definitely from 15 minutes with normal ovens. Stick in a toothpick and if it's clean, take them out. Don't let them overdry.

They are DELICIOUS.

please excuse my muffin pan. it is very well-loved. I have a new pan too but that one doesn't work as well...

Everyone will gobble them up and you'll have to make another batch tomorrow.

The recipe says they're good for 3 days on the counter. They've never lasted that long around these parts :)



And now, since it's the last day of the month, D and I are doing date night 3, Up in the air (LOVED it when we saw at the movies), so we're going to enjoy some of those muffins and a nice mug of tea.

How was your Saturday?

I'll have to find and link to the amazing pumpkin ones. I can't find it on my Pinterest board!!!

9 comments:

  1. I haven't baked anything in a while. I will try this today and let you know how it goes. I'm quite bad at sticking to recipes. I try to stick to it first time but after that I change things around and mostly with good results

    ReplyDelete
  2. These looks yummy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look delish!
    My Saturday was lovely. It was FREEZING here and started to rain late in the afternoon. I had a lie in, we took Joshua to his Maths session and went to the beach to kill time while we waited. Then we went to my parents for soup and fireplace chats and some baby snuggles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I made this today - They are yummy!! And I used plain lactose free yoghurt. Mixed raisins into some and banana into another batch and left a few plain. And I even used more yoghurt than the recipe called for. They are 'idiot proof' I mixed wet ingredients together and dry ingredients and mixed them together :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That does look delicious, no wonder they get eaten so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ended up being next to the soccer field for 5 hours on Saturday! And then had a braai with a friend of mine. It was totally not how it was supposed to go but it was the best Saturday I have had in months!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so going to make these! We had the usual horse riding and then the big Bulletjie rugby where the boys play on Loftus and thankfully 3 hours later we were home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:31 pm

    Saturday was a day of driving for me. I had to go and fetch some stock I had ordered from our warehouse (close to airport) then home, then off to visit my uncle in the South and from there to a kids party in Bryanston! But it was a lovely day all round.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just made these with apricot yogurt...they are delicious...i can't wait for the kids to try them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails