Saturday, June 13, 2015

It almost feels like Christmas when we have power

We've had loadshedding for 2 nights from 6pm and tonight we have POWER!

Hallelujah!


Thurs - 6 - 11:15 (I was so cold I waited up to have a proper hot mug of tea - the water wasn't that warm when I had my cup-a-soup for supper a few hours earlier)
Friday - 6 - .... (not sure because I went to sleep at 9.07)

I really can deal with it if they do it exactly when they say they will.

Then there's a point in rushing home earlier and not finishing everything I want to at work, heating food, etc.

But when you rush home and nothing, and then they just spring it on you whenever they want, it drives me nuts.


We're all tired of eating cold food, I'm tired of not reading at night and most of all, I'm super tired of not having a leisurely evening going for a little walk, making supper at my leisure, having to be concerned with food we can eat cold.

As I said, last night I went to bed at 9:07 (I was reading on the ipad for about 45 minutes before that), but because it was so early, I was wide awake at about 3:30 am (this never, ever happens) for about an hour... and then my nose started running (an annoying thing that happens to me is if I'm awake and lying down too long, my nose starts running/ I start sneezing, etc.), eventually went back to sleep and got up at my usual Saturday time, 8. So I'm knackered today.


The only good thing (really, the only one) is we all pile into my bed for bedtime stories and such, and I get to snuggle with the babies.

Work is behind, blogging is behind (I don't mind that), and personal tidying up and sorting stuff out is also behind.

So what are the rest of you doing about loadshedding?

Have you accepted it? Do you buy takeaways? Are you braai-ing? Are some parts of your life falling through the cracks?

10 comments:

  1. I would prefer deciding when my power goes on or off. K is busy arranging to have solar panels fitted. On Wednesday night we had cellgroup around the dining table with candlelight...it was a little magical xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. We usually buy take-out. But its still such a pain. Not too mention how cold the house is and you can't make tea/coffee to warm up. But the thing I miss most during load shedding is a hot water bottle in the bed at night. I just cannot sleep without it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't bear going back out into traffic lights not working....although if we don't have a flask of boiling water, I might reconsider :)

      Delete
  3. Steve's got this place rigged up like a Christmas tree, between solar...batteries...and generator...it's a bit of a non event in our house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh my word, I need a Steve to come rig my house :)

      Delete
  4. We invested in a generator so not feeling the pinch much though it's definitely not as bad in the capital city! Also it might be worth getting a small gas stove to have warm water and get a hot meal! I can manage all things but not a cold meal (I don't even eat cold sandwiches) and especially not in this weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do remember you and the non-cold sandwiches!

      Winter will make me do that, but it kind of kills me to PAY extra when we already pay for electricity.

      Delete
  5. I am so behind with everything. I am only reading your post now. :) But I use load shedding time to do offline work such as my data capture job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know that I almost let loadshedding send me into a depression episode? It was when we had 6-8:30 every night. I just could not any more. Now with the rotation stuff I am actually ok with it. Mostly. We have a wonderful gas heater, H has installed the gas stove in the kitchen for me (two plate that we used for camping) and we have 3 battery back up lights that light wherever we are at the moment. It helps!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails