Thursday, November 27, 2014

Ah, Thanksgiving!

My love for Thanksgiving is well-documented on this blog.

2013

2012

2011

Johannesburg - April 2014

Today I want to take a few moments to thank God for getting me through those 13 months.

He has totally restored my work situation - I work with decent, amazingly normal people. I even have a new K (my old friend K and I used to talk about things that the new K and I talk about now), a lovely, chilled boss, and I'm in a better place financially than if I'd still been at ex company (I would probably only have hit this level by the end of next year!).

And I can't remember the last time I cried!

Drakensberg - May 2014
The other day something happened at work and because of my conditioning at the old place I was quite tense and anxious about it. I even asked my Bible-reading group to pray for me.

Boss's boss and I had a lovely meeting and we sorted it all out. He even made a phone call and chatted to someone so we could sort this thing out, and backed me in an email afterwards.

Here's the thing - after it all blew over, I realised the way this was dealt with (BB was calm, helpful and taught me about this new thing without thinking or acting like I'm dumb) is actually normal. I was just so scared of ever making a mistake because everything got blown out of proportion over nonsense (really, nonsense) at the old place that I've become scared.

I'm nearly done with Daring Greatly and in it, she gives symptoms of a workplace where shame is a value. It was definitely a value there - absolutely not a true learning culture.

One of the lovely things I put on my birthday list this year is "get my confidence back" and by Jove, I think it's slowly happening.

Praise God.
Ballito - Aug 2014

I said it in last year's post, but I don't think I'll completely be able to convey my thanks to all of you who stood by me during that horrible time. I felt "carried" on your prayers many, many days.

I don't want to talk about it much more but I honestly don't wish a toxic environment like that on anyone. Nobody should have to take little white pills just to get through their workday.

And Laura, your words were instrumental in pushing me to do something when you said "you'll always be able to get a job but you can't get your health back".

Thank you, friends.

What are you thankful for today?


PS as I type, I feel like I'm talking to someone.... if you need me to listen, please just email/ shout.

7 comments:

  1. Boy, this year was tough, but this morning we had A's prize giving and she also did so well , just like C. She even got a Maths merit - with only about 10 in the grade this is huge! She never got Maths before. I am grateful that I have two easy academically great kids and just one we need to work so very hard with

    ReplyDelete
  2. Full circle my friend...isn't God good? I am happy for you...and there is so much in my life that I am thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah man. I LOVE this post. You have come full circle and I can hear that you are HAPPY again. Right now I am thankful for music. And psalm 40. It saved my sanity this past week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha...I guess it's my turn. ;-)

    I'm in a tough spot right now. I have that study commitment for Feb, so no jumping before that.

    New Cpt is a micro manager deluxe. I honestly can't remember ever being treated this way. It's awful.

    You know me though...I find a way through. So my new strategy (after I pulled myself towards myself), is to out update her. If I lay eyes on her she gets an update every half an hour, whether she wants one or not. She now sighs when she sees me coming and my inbox is blissfully devoid of update please emails. Maybe she'll realise how truly bloody annoying it is.

    The Queen just chuckles at me while I'm doing this.

    At least I feel much more in control of my work environment than on Tuesday. Tuesday I was a hot mess and picked up hugs as far as I went throughout the building. Now I'm on fist bumps and high fives.

    Still...this isn't my idea of fun. It's the lesser of two evils. *shrug*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:54 pm

    Isn't God amazing? How wonderful He is to have fully restored your work life... good and faithful. I cannot tell you how glad I am that you have come through the storm stronger than before.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:13 pm

    Psalm 30 11-12. Read the NLT version, it sums this post up PERFECTLY!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marcia, you know I've been a terrible bloggy friend of late (although you've never been very far from my thoughts!), but I am so thankful to scroll down your blog and read this. With much love and happiness to you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails