Tuesday, November 04, 2014

My new little pink friend


landscape - unedited but shot in the vivid option under Picture Control
I discovered that I am, in fact, a bit of a control freak when it comes to my camera.

I love my Canon more than is healthy.

Much more than my iphone, in case you couldn't guess.

One of my favourite bloggers, Chookooloonks, got herself a little camera and that started me thinking maybe I could get a little one too.

Remember the camera I mentioned in yesterday's post?

While I was buying it, I totally forgot that I wanted that ability to connect to the internet too.

Moving on.

close-ups
 The Nikon arrived and I hated it for a few days.

Then I read the entire manual (I give myself a gold star!), accepted the camera for what it was and I started enjoying it a bit more.

(there's a life lesson in there)

this is the first photo I took with the new camera on day 2 of owning it that I actually love

My very initial thoughts (I've had it only 3 weeks now)...

Pros:
  1. small and extremely cute
  2. pink
  3. some easy settings
  4. I love the vivid colour option - I add a colour contrast to most of mine in Picasa anyway. It's my one main "action". Now I don't have to. Also if you open the photo in Picasa, that option is automatically greyed out.
  5. I love the monochrome option. OH BOY I love it. This year I wanted to play more with black and white and I have been, but in Picasa. Now I take the pics in black and white with the Nikon so how I imagine it is how it looks. Extremely satisfying.
  6. Love the self-timer option - much easier to use than the Canon.
using the self-timer
Cons:
  1. I can't adjust the f-stop unless I put the entire thing in manual. Maybe someone has figured out how to do it... but this is how Biogirl explained and it was the only time I could actually see the f-stop moving so it seems to be the correct explanation.
  2. The focus point is not as easy to move as the Canon.
  3. The smallness makes me sometimes feel like I'm going to drop it - I don't feel like I can "manhandle" it like the big camera.
  4. I don't feel like I can rely on it yet to take to an event. E.g. we went to Gillooly's Farm the other day, I took a few pics (only 111) because I only took this camera, so I had no back-up, and I missed a ton of "good pics" that I would have got easily with my Canon.

So it could be familiarity, my change aversion or something else, but that's where I'm at for now. I'm taking the Nikon to work most days so I can play a bit.

But impossible to compare with the Canon properly because they're different little engines.

this is a "bad" black and white but I love the feeling in this pic

Meanwhile because I LOVE the black and white photos I'm getting with the Nikon, I thought I'd start yet another little series for my own enjoyment (I do like a project!) called Monochrome Mondays - feel free to play along.

What do you think?
Which camera brand do you use?

PS this is my first experience with a Nikon. I've had a Kodak, a Sony (the Cybershot the kids use, and that I used til 1 Dec 2011), still have my lovely Canon, and now this one.
PPS I must tell you, every time I take out the Canon, I do whisper to it, "ooh yes, Baby!" when I first start shooting which may make me strange but I'm totally okay with that!

8 comments:

  1. I think I am just as in love with my Canon. The new one is a tad nicer, but I have to admit to still missing the old one just because I knew it so well. It was like a trusty old friend that I knew for years. I need to get our little cybershot into the kids' hands more. Tell me - what model is this? For our next camera I am thinking of the Canon SX 60 Hs - a bridge camera with a super excellent zoom and soundless operation (and wifi). A costly exercise but something that has exactly what H would need

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I linked to it in yesterday's post. I can't access my blog from work except on phone so pasting links is challenging!

      Delete
  2. Oh and I love the bottom B&W pic - so much mood

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that "bad" picture. It is gorgeous, love the focus on the rain, the blurry background. It reminds me of my favourite winter days. I have a Sony , a Kodak and recently acquired a big Nikon. Have not figured it out yet, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's exactly why I like that one too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:50 pm

    If that is a bad picture I want to see one of your good ones! We have a canon but I really need to learn how to use it better. Also Cliff is so anal about it that I am scared to lug it everywhere we go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Comparing the cameras is like comparing oranges and apples. I still think you need to give the new one a chance, by the time you master it I'm sure you'll love it. Plus because it's smaller it's easier to carry around and the more reason why you shouldn't miss good photo moments

    ReplyDelete
  7. My DSLR is a Nikon, I love it. I barely know how to use it though, I have had it for years and never picked up the manual. I often look at the photo classes online, like the ones you've done- I really need to just suck it up and do one.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails