Friday, August 29, 2014

How I celebrated my 40th birthday in 10 easy steps

Okay, that's a little bit simplistic but I want to (try) keep things short and to the point.

1. I agonised about inviting friends.

name tags made with Artsyville washi tape


2. I ordered food from a caterer. For those who are interested, chicken biryani. YUM! My favourite meal :) And cakes from Pick and Pay. You guys, this business of fancy cakes is way overrated. One cake at PnP = R45. Boom!

one of the three tables (this one had the best light :))


3. I decided on a blue/ green theme. This was the fun part.

Same way as with the kids' party when I went around the house pulling all green, yellow and brown items, I did the same thing and went around the house pulling all the blue and green things together.



4. I spent a lot of time on party favours. I know it's not necessary but it's my thing, okay? I knew that everybody who turned up would be very special friends and I wanted to honour them, so I put together a (very nice) party bag with 3 of my favourite things (can you guess what those are?) plus a hand-written and individual thank-you card.


5. I had a guest book. The same one I started at my 30th and promptly forgot about for the last 10 years. I love this idea because I love love LOVE reading what people wrote (as you know, cards are a dying art form but this friend wrote me the most beautiful card ever). Thanks Caren!




6. I think everyone had a good time. I certainly did. My one friend (this one below) sent me the longest, best SMS ever saying what a lovely, diverse group of friends I have and it was SO interesting talking to them.



7. I only took photos when Caren reminded me to do so :) which means I was in the moment and very present. Then I whipped around with my camera.

Mrs FF took lots of pics - probably more than I did!


8. There were lots of presents and two gift vouchers! I must tell you, I also received a pair of pyjamas which I've been LIVING in ever since we returned from Ballito.


 9. I remembered right at the end to ask D to take photos of me with the kids, and then Connor and I went on a photo walk. That night I hit 10 000 steps :)
 


10. Of course I celebrated my actual birthday in Ballito. Best decision ever. I thoroughly recommend it. Being right at the beach is so restorative!

My mother was with me on my birthday for the first time since I was 17........... yes, that's a long time, so that was very special. Incidentally, I realised when my father phoned that he still calls me "Poppet". I had a moment when I was thinking, "Really? Should a 40-year-old woman still be called poppet?" but it's so fun and always makes me smile, so I guess it's a yes. What does your father call you?

All in all, a great birthday!

And thank you all again for all the birthday wishes and unexpected presents!!!!

I was/ am very blessed.

This was my word for the day on the 6th.



Here is your word for today:

Verse:       Isaiah 26:1

In that day, everyone in the land will sing this song: 'Our city is strong! We are surrounded by the walls of God's salvation.'

- God's plan for you is that you would know His strength in your life.
- He wants to bring you to this place.
- It's a place where you know that you are surrounded by Him.
- May you be strong, knowing that He surrounds you with salvation!

PRAYER: Lord, I pray that You will bring me to that place where I know that You have strengthened me and surrounded me with the hope that only comes from You. Amen.

Thank you, I receive that!

#shine
#marciaturns40

Next year, I'm going back to small lunches again! Otherwise, ONE very big celebration like a holiday :) (this is how it starts)



I can honestly say I have absolutely NO issues with being 40. None.

What is the alternative? Death?

I'm grateful for a healthy body that can dance and put 16-year-olds to shame (although it takes me longer to recover but shhh, they don't know that), that does whatever I need it to do, that can go on photowalks to see God's amazing beauty and that can chase my kids around in the garden til they squeal with delight.

I praise you, Lord, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made Ps 139:14
Do you have issues with ageing?

7 comments:

  1. Haha, no issues here! Everyone still thinks G is my father...
    P.S. I still love this gray wall picture. The happiness is back. :)
    Glad you had a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture of yours is stunning!!! You did look very happy. And the last one is just amazing

    I'm happy you enjoyed your birthday and I'm glad I could be a part of it. Here's to many more decades....


    I have no qualms about aging except when I realise my parents are also getting advanced in age. That makes me a bit anxious

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love that he still calls you Poppet. I wish my dad was around to call me Hasie but at least my FIL can still call me Rientjie. And I love that your mom was with you - that is very special. H almost always have a long weekend or something holidayish for his Bday as he has it on an actual public holiday. Mine is just too close to when we close office for December holidays and in general it is a really mad time of the year so I very seldom do something. I do try to take the day off though

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome!

    I really do not have an issue with ageing at all. I've earned every one of these years the hard way - and I'm proud of them all. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:20 pm

    It looks like you had the BEST birthday. As it should be!

    My guesses in for the party favour are project life cards, washi tape and gel pens?

    ADORE the pics of the kids and you! ADORE!!

    My dad used to call me "dungfunnel" or "sweets"

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also love cards, and it's only a pleasure! I really LOVE that pic of you in turquoise in front of the grey wall, you look so relaxed and HAPPY!!!! It should be your new "123 Blog" profile picture, for sure!

    And I am so glad you enjoyed your 40th Birthday. I would have also loved to have spent mine at the beach...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:19 pm

    Lovely birthday celebrations! I have no issues with aging at all! I do get a shock sometimes when I realise how long I've been out of school.. or how old my children are... that sometimes shocks me..lol..
    My dad is the only person who calls me Robbie. Everyone else calls me Rob or Robs.. and now my husband calls me Robbie and I love it. My dad also calls my sister and I babe - which sounds kinda weird when I write it down haha.. but I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails