Saturday, November 13, 2010

Square peg in a round hole

Do you also do this?

Read a comment somewhere, find it interesting, click, click, click and before you know it, you're trawling the person's archives?

That's how I found this fantastic post about how Joburg stole her work-life balance.

This is exactly how I feel about the consumerism in Joburg.

I feel like a fish out of water sometimes because I don't buy into buying the biggest and best cars (I also am a bit "green"), buying new houses just because, wearing the latest clothes,having the latest accessories, etc, etc.

And it seems everyone else is!

Tamara also wrote this in her post:

In fact, if you're not busy in Joburg, people might think there's something wrong with you. Busyness and stress are worn as badges of honour here.

Again, absolutely true.

I don't like busy and I LOVE work-life balance. When I say things to this effect in meetings or casual conversations, people look at me like I'm crazy.

What? You mean you PURPOSELY design your life and weekends?

Oh yes I do!

I love simplicity and

I wonder sometimes if it's because I'm originally from the coast?

Or maybe I'm just different from the majority of people?

My new website is going to reflect the new me. Actually it's not a new me, it's just bringing that part of me to the fore.

Yes, it will annoy people and they will unsubscribe but at least the right people will know immediately that I am for them and they are for me.

Anyway....

Is there any place in your life (not just literally) where you feel like a square peg in a round hole?

Share :)

4 comments:

  1. You don't love the go-go-go?! LOL You'd hate most America! That would make two of us though.

    I often feel out of place at work. I don't "need" my job and everyone else does. I don't want to work but enjoy the bit of free time I get. I am so much more focused on my family, our next trip, doing laundry, baking, ect. that I just don't mesh with everyone else. That sad thing is I'm responsible for them so I'm suppose to set the example...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I think you said it perfectly, we (as a whole) are very caught up in the getting in life. Sometimes we forget to look around and enjoy what we have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I SO agree with you re: Jhb!!! I can't stand the rat race here!

    I used to feel like a square peg in a round hole while practising law...it was just SO not me...in just two weeks, in my new position, I feel like I am now the round peg in the round hole!

    It is just the best feeling ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHat strikes me most is that most people feel they don't fit. It's a case of perceptions isn't it?
    For myself - I LOVE my work as a distraction and there are times when life for me is so slow (too slow) and other times too fast. I like that those who love the rat race, run it hard and do it well. And those that don't, won't.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails