Thursday, December 11, 2014

My top books of 2014 - fiction and non-fiction

The end of year is upon us and as you know, I like a lot of recapping, because this is how I think through things, so best I start with some easy things.

Like books.

I'm doing a #DecemberReflections on Instagram. I was honestly stumped to think of the best book of 2014.

So I went through my Goodreads account. To be honest, I've read 73 books so far (my 2014 challenge was 70) and I fully intend to read 7 more this month, so these might change a bit....I'll come back and edit if it does.

Without further ado...

Fiction
I read 5 of Emily Giffin's 7 books this year - the others are above my threshold. (I have a rule - I don't buy books above $11.99 because then I might as well have bought the physical copy and the whole justification for me getting the Kindle was that it was cheaper than my Exclusive Books habit).

Something Borrowed (this was made into a movie which is not at all as good as the book - The Runaway Jury is still the only movie made that is as good as the book - it may or may not be due to John Cusack...) and Something Blue are lighter and more fun.

(Do you like John Cusack?)



But the one that tops my list is Heart of the Matter. It was so thought-provoking and if you're someone who likes to think through issues (especially on working women and staying home and that sort of thing), definitely get it, read it and let's have a chat about it :)

(it's only $7,99 at the moment if you want it)

The Rose Petal Beach - Dorothy Koomson
I've raved about Dorothy Koomson before. I love ALL her books. ALL.

This was her latest one - I've read them all except her recipe book because, well, a recipe book!

(And Louisa, I see I bought my copy on Nicola's birthday last year :))

Still life - Joy Fielding

The last time I read a Joy Fielding was 5 years ago and I forgot how she writes these page-turners. Never mind sleep; I was up at least an hour later than I normally am (1 am and onwards...) for a good 2 - 3 nights.

Well worth it to be so thoroughly captivated.

Most disappointing - I think I love you - Alison Pearson (probably because I loved "I don't know how she does it" so much when I first read it years ago) and How to fall in love - Cecilia Ahern (she just writes so much better usually).

If you've read those two, tell me what you thought.

Special mention - Momfriends - Ariella Papa. Some editing needed which normally annoys me too much but I loved the honesty, authenticity, great characters and story. It's my 4th most enjoyable book which has got to tell you something!!!



And then, non-fiction reads

My goal was to read 15 non-fiction; I read 18 already and will definitely read another 2 this year.

Favourites were...

1. The Nesting Place: It Doesn't Have to Be Perfect to Be Beautiful - Myquillyn Smith

This is not only a book about decorating... it's so full of beautiful life lessons.

Really, get it and enjoy it with a cup of tea and your highlighter or post-it flags.

2. 7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess Jen Hatmaker

Loved! I still want to do a 7 project of my own... and D really liked the sub-title ;)

3. Daring Greatly - Brene Brown

I still liked the other two better, but this one speaks to me a lot now that I'm a parent. Some really great insights.

(Glennon Melton calls Brene Brown "Queen Brene" :))

Most disappointing reads

Is everyone hanging out without me? - I feel a little very annoyed at myself for keeping this on my wish list for 2 - 3 years and paying money to read it. Don't bother unless you're a fan and want some insights to her personality.

Let's all be brave - I read this author's entire courage series for 31 days a few years ago and loved it. This was... not the same. It seemed way too "young" for me, like 2 on the scale of brave things. That sounds ruder than it's intended to be but is why I felt it was maybe intended for a younger audience with not much of life behind them :)

Most fun read -There, Their, They're - a no tears guide to grammar from the Word Nerd. I paid about $2 for this and I was thoroughly entertained. If you're also a Word Nerd (D and I are), you will find yourself nodding away smugly :)

So that's where I'm at!

What were your top fiction and non-fiction reads of 2014?

2 comments:

  1. Gosh, I will have to think about my top reads for the year. I think I am going to get the Jen Hatmaker one. Also the Their/There one. And I will check out Emily's books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do read your book blogs! I am actually reading Heart of the Matter now from your recommendation :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails